• Licensed Educational Therapist – In Progress
• M.Ed from Southeastern University in Educational Therapy – Graduating June 2024
• B.S. from Slippery Rock University in Special Education and Elementary Education
• B.S. from Utah State University in Communicative Disorders and Deaf Education
• Certified teacher in PA and AZ
• Licensed Speech Language Pathologist Assistant in Arizona
Prior to joining LJL, Kayla spent over a decade as a special education teacher. Kayla has also served children as an SLP-A, Instructional Coach, Behavioral Coach, and Structured Literacy Coach. Kayla says her biggest accomplishment is learning and understanding the strengths of her son, who was identified with dyslexia in 2nd grade. This is what she remains most passionate about – helping parents understand that their child’s reading or spelling ability does not determine how smart they are, in fact, they have some incredible strengths that just need to be understood!
• M.A. in the Teaching of Writing from San Diego State University
• B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from U.C. Santa Cruz
Bree has extensive experience with high school and adult students. She has worked at several colleges and also has experience implementing accommodations to students with IEPs. Over the past few years, she has started teaching reading strategies to students of all ages with Dyslexia. Bree is inspired to help students appreciate their own learning process and find joy in what they can discover about themselves and the world through learning.
• Doctorate in Mathematics and Science Education, University of Massachusetts at Lowell
• Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Mathematics
• LJL Training Completed: Math Fundamentals
Led hundreds of professional development workshops and conference presentations, conducted several large educational research projects, and has numerous publications in academic journals.
One of her favorite things to do is supervise student projects. She has helped K-16 students do projects on algorithmically-generated music, the “perfect” shuffles problem, Pick’s Theorem, Mathemagics, and tracing the historical development of mathematics concepts. Dr. Goodwin is also an avid reader, singer, and lover of holiday movies.
• Bachelor’s degree in Child Development, San Diego State University
• Master’s degree in Elementary Education, University of Phoenix
Misty has helped a variety of students with ADD/ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, anxiety, sensory processing disorder, and auditory processing disorder. Misty values the importance of developing the whole child and supports each child’s individual strengths, abilities, interests and needs.
• Master’s degree in Literacy Education, Missouri State University
• Teaching credential in elementary education.
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Reading Comprehension
Taylor’s helped a variety of students with ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, autism spectrum disorder, anxiety, sensory processing disorder, and visual processing disorders. She engages students using a variety of research-based techniques that align with their learning style and by emphasizing their interests, in efforts to make student’s learning applicable to the world around them.
• Bachelor of Arts, San Diego State University
• California teaching credentials in Special Education and Single Subject English
• Currently pursuing a certificate in Social Emotional Learning from UC Riverside
• Special Education teacher for over 20 years
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Reading Comprehension, Executive Functioning, ISEE Test Prep
Lois loves incorporating drama into her classroom as a reading supplement and aid to building young people’s self esteem. “Si, se puede”, “Yes, we can” is her teaching mantra.
• Speech and Language Pathologist – in progress
• M.S. from California State University of Northridge in Communication Disorders – Graduating May 2024
• B.S. from Stern College for Women in Speech Pathology and Audiology, graduate on Dean’s Honor Roll
• Registered Yoga Teacher through Yoga Alliance via Reach Yoga, Basic Life Support Provider (CPR and AED) via American Heart Association
• LJL Training Completed: Admissions Advising, ISEE Test Prep, Structured Literacy, Reading Comprehension, Math Fundamentals, Executive Functioning
Prior to joining LJL team, Dina was an Audiology Aide for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing population and a Private Tutor for children learning English as a Second Language. She has worked with individuals with hearing impairment, auditory processing disorder, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, mild cognitive deficits, anxiety, and depression. Dina believes that no one is ever too old to be a student since there is always more to learn!
• Speech Pathology BS, Cal State San Marcos
• Speech-Language Pathology Assistant Certification, Cal State East Bay
• 200 Hr. RYT from Vinyasa Arts and Lifeguard certifications through the Red Cross
• LJL Training Completed: Executive Functioning, Reading Comprehension, Math Fundamentals, ISEE Test Prep, Admissions Advising, Structured Literacy
Cheri has helped a variety of students with ASD, ADHD, DS, depression, and supported those who needed a boost in confidence and self esteem. Cheri’s philosophy in a teaching role is to emulate positive practices and engage with students with enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and sincerity.
• BA in English Literature and a minor in Humanities, University of Louisville
• LJL Training Completed: Executive Functioning, ISEE Test Prep, Admissions Advising, Structured Literacy
Krystal has helped a variety of students with ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, autism spectrum disorder, anxiety, sensory processing disorder, depression, trauma disorders, auditory processing disorder, visual processing disorder, HOH/Deafness, and total blindness. Krystal is devoted to the process of Information Literacy, and loves engaging with students based on their interests – especially helping readers explore different avenues of reading opportunities such as through graphic novels, visual novels, or choose your own adventure novels.
• M.S. in Educational Psychology from Oklahoma State University
• B.S. in Kinesiology from San Diego State
• LJL Training Completed: Executive Functioning, ISEE Test Prep
Prior to joining LJL, Taylor spent 6 years in educational classroom settings including special education in North County San Diego. During Taylor’s time in the school, he helped students with ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, autism spectrum disorder, anxiety, sensory processing disorder, depression, auditory processing disorder, and visual processing disorders. Taylor embraces a growth mindset and looks to improve each day as a person.
• Associate’s Degree in Child Development from Theoria Technical College
• Certified in early childhood educational administrative program management, preventative health, and nutrition.
• LJL Training Completed: Executive Functioning, Reading Comprehension, ISEE Test Prep
Prior to coming to LJL, DeAnna lead classrooms in multiple preschools and kindergartens. DeAnna has been mastering the art of virtual learning since the pandemic started and successfully worked with children as young as 4. She has experience helping students with ADD/ADHD and sensory processing disorders. DeAnnas passion for education stems from the philosophy “I do, we do, you do” teaching adults or children has always been just as rewarding for her as it is for her students.
• B.A. in Theatre Arts – Rollins College, Winter Park FL
• Masters in Elementary Education – George Washington University, Washington DC
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Executive Functioning, Math Fundamentals, Reading Comprehension
Prior to joining LJL, Jody spent over a decade helping start and run a parent volunteer reading program – Everyone A Reader – in her children’s school and working one on one with struggling readers. Before that, Jody taught both first and third grade. Jody has also worked tirelessly to advocate for her own daughter who was finally diagnosed with Dyslexia in 6th grade. This experience is why she decided to work with LJL– helping students feel more confident and understand that although they have struggles, they also have incredible strengths.
• Interior Architecture and Applied Design BA, San Diego State University – in progress
• Academic AVID tutor for 4 years
• LJL Training Completed: ISEE Test Prep, Executive Functioning
Abril believes that when working with young minds, it is not only important to guide them towards academic success but also to instill inspiration in them and a positive mindset that will assist them in achieving their future career and personal goals.
• M.ED in Special Education, George Mason University
• M.S. in Biology, Georgetown University
• B.A. in Biology, Denison University
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, ISEE Test Prep, Admissions Advising, Executive Functioning, Math Fundamentals, Reading Comprehension
Pattye loves the challenge of finding the perfect key to help a student succeed by using a series of multi-sensory strategies.
• B.S. in General Biology and Global Health, University of California, San Diego
• Medical Post Baccalaureate program, University of California, Irvine – in progress
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Executive Functioning, ISEE Test Prep, Admissions Advising
Yvanna believes learning should be done in a fun and interactive way to motivate and increase students’ confidence. All it takes to master a topic is practice and support and she aspires to be that support for all her students.
• Special Education Mild/Moderate Credential, San Diego State University
• Bachelors Degree in Liberal Studies/Elementary Education, Biola University
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Reading Comprehension, Math Fundamentals
Danielle has worked as an educational specialist in the special education field where she has taught students with special needs K-12 for 17+ years. She feels inspired in creating an environment that instills joy, motivation and care. She loves supporting each student’s own unique way of learning and enjoys teaching in various modified ways to help students reach a better understanding of what they are learning.
• PhD in Sociology – in progress
• Masters degree in Sociology
• Bachelors degree in Sociology
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Reading Comprehension, Math Fundamentals, Executive Functioning
Prior to joining the LJL team, Olivia worked as a response to intervention (RTI) specialist for grades K-8. She is currently working on her Ph.D. in sociology with an emphasis in education. Olivia values educators’ impact on students’ learning experiences and aspires to work within the educational administration system to guide future educators.
• B.S. in Special Education and Elementary Education
• Special Education Mild/Moderate Credential
• M.A. in Social Emotional Learning- graduating August 2023
• Orton Gillingham: Comprehensive IMSE Orton-Gillingham & Morphology Plus
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy
Joelee has taught students with a variety of disabilities, including learning disabilities, ADHD, autism, and emotional/behavioral disabilities. She loves working with students to help them reach their full potential and strongly believes that all students are capable of making growth and meeting their goals. Joelee prioritizes building relationships with her students and encourages students to take ownership of their learning by setting goals for themselves and advocating for their needs.
• B.S. in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences from San Francisco State University
• M.S. in Museum Studies: Learning & Engagement – In Progress
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Math Fundamentals, ISEE Test Prep, Reading Comprehension, Executive Functioning
Prior to joining LJL, Daniele was a literacy clinician and teacher in multiple Early Childhood classrooms. Danielle has supported a variety of children with learning challenges including dyslexia and auditory processing disorders. She has experience working with children with ADHD, ASD, and anxiety. Danielle believes that learning should be an accessible practice – experienced and enjoyed by all!
• B.A. in English, Chapman University
• M.A. in English Literature, Loyola Marymount University
• LJL Training Completed: Admissions Advising, ISEE Test Prep, Reading Comprehension, Structured Literacy, Executive Functioning
Ross has instructed in most areas of the language arts, from beginning phonics to collegiate poetry. His specialities include essay composition, reading comprehension, test prep and creative writing. His primary passion as a teacher is to instill wonder and excitement for reading and writing for the benefit of his students’ creativity and critical thinking skills. Ross believes that every one of us can find what we seek and that the search itself can bring the most wisdom.
• BA from San Diego State University in Liberal Studies – May 2015
• Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate – May 2015
• Multiple Subject Credential from San Diego State University – December 2016
• MA in Elementary Education from San Diego State University – May 2018
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, ISEE Test Prep, Executive Functioning
Jenny has been an elementary school teacher for four years. Prior to teaching, she has worked in education for over ten years in many different capacities. She has worked with a variety of students with different needs ranging from elementary school to high school ages. Jenny’s passion is teaching reading and writing. She loves being able to work one on one with students until they have that light bulb moment where what they are learning finally clicks. She feels that literacy plays a huge role in reducing inequities and that everyone deserves to feel empowered in their reading and writing abilities.
• B.S. in Applied Arts from SDSU, Music Education: Emphasis in Voice and Theatre
• 2 years post-graduate coursework in K-12 Education and Psychology
• 3 years: one-to-one Mentor for San Diego County’s Foster Youth Mentorship Program
• 1 year: music and theatre instructor, North Coast Rep’s Educational Outreach for adolescents
• 1 year: workshops and performances in improvisational comedy
• Prior to joining LJL: 15 consecutive years as an instructor for students in Special Education
• LJL Training Completed: Structured Literacy, Executive Functioning
Leslie helps students who have struggled with reading comprehension and fluency, auditory processing, dyslexia, basic writing composition, anxiety, and autism. Her early background in the arts adds to the creativity in her work. She supports a variety of learning styles, modifies methods as needed to facilitate clarity, and champions each student’s strengths. Leslie believes in boosting confidence in an atmosphere of non-judgment, respect, positive rapport, and fun! She incorporates topics and materials of particular interest to the student. “Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.” -Chinese Proverb
• M.A. in Educational Therapy, California State University-Northridge – in progress
• BA in Linguistics, Minor in Counseling and Social Change, San Diego State University
• A.A. in Social and Behavioral Sciences, San Diego Miramar College
• Certificates in TESL/TEFL, Interdisciplinary Study of Bilingualism, and Transcultural Communication
• 8.5 Years in Educational Therapy
• LJL Training Completed: Executive Functioning, Structured Literacy, Math Fundamentals
Shivani has a passion for the educational therapy field and for working with students with learning disabilities. She believes it is a true privilege to witness once struggling students thrive in their personal, academic, and professional pursuits. It brings her great joy to be a part of positively impacting children and their families and guiding confident young minds onto the path of independence.